Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving! For Thanksgiving, I spent the day with family and friends, eating wonderful food made with love. Here is a picture taken at my great grandmother’s farm.

DSCN5514

Sam the donkey. He loves peppermints and is very friendly!

DSCN5527

My great grandmother, my sister Allyson, and me in the barn.

As if all the food that I consumed today was not enough, I decided to bake a cake that I had been eyeing for a while on one of my favorite food blogs. This cranberry cake is a sort of transition for me into winter flavors. The top of my cake turned out very bubbly and I do not know the cause of this.

DSCN5532

Cranberry Cake

Adapted from the kitchn

3 eggs

3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into chucks

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon almond extract

2 cups flour

2 1/2 cups cranberries (1 bag)

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan or a 10 inch springform pan.

Beat eggs and sugar with a mixer for about 7 minutes, until the mixture is pale yellow and doubled in size. It should be thick enough so that when you lift the beaters ribbons should stay on top of the batter.

Add in almond and vanilla extracts and chunks of softened butter. Beat for another 2 minutes, then stir in flour. Next, fold in cranberries. Batter will be thick, close to a dough consistency. Spread into pan.

Bake for 45-50 minutes. The top of cake should be golden brown and a toothpick inserted should come out clean. For the last 10 minutes, you may need to tent the cake with foil to prevent the top from getting too brown.

Cool completely before serving. You may add a pecan topping or icing (shown in the original recipe), but I think that just like this is delicious. You could also add in some orange zest and a squeeze of orange juice.

DSCN5534

No comments:

Post a Comment