Saturday, December 10, 2011

Without Julia Child, Food Network would not be what it is today. I would hate to imagine not being able to watch my favorite chefs/cooks on TV, especially Ina (yes, we are on a first name basis). Child's show, The French Chef, was one of the first cooking shows and let's face it, who hasn't heard of Julia Child? Not too long ago I was one of those people that knew who she was. I had heard there was a movie about her and some girl named Julie. But, that was about the extent of my knowledge..... until, one fateful day I wandered in the Davidson College Bookstore and found My Life in France in the "Bargain Books" section for $5. The deal was just too much for me to pass up on (marked down from $15!) and I bought it for a fun read, to help me keep me sane during the last part of the semester.

Last night, I finished the book. And, honestly, I can't stop thinking about it. Julia Child's amazing rise to prominence in the food world after not learning to cook until her mid-30s shocked me and the recipes that she mentioned both intrigued me and made my mouth water. Part of me wants to get the colossal Mastering the Art of French Cooking (the complete set), although I don't think there is room in my dorm room. The book is wonderfully well-written and even has pictures included. Julia seems like someone I definitely would have liked to meet; her story isn't just about food but about relationships and all things French. The book was incredibly inspiring and shows that if you work hard enough at and have enough passion for something, anything is possible. Although this lesson can extend to anyone, all you food nerds or foodies or whatever you like to call yourself should most definitely put this on your Christmas list. You will not regret it. I want to read her other book, From Julia Child's Kitchen.
Stay sane!

No comments:

Post a Comment