Friday, December 2, 2011

Olive Oil Granola

 

This is the first thing I decided to bake when I got home. I love olive oil! One of my favorite things at Commons is the garlic bread (bread with cloves of garlic inside) dipped in olive oil. It makes me feel European and sophisticated but also tastes balanced and the flavors are very smooth. Granola is another one of my favorite things, both to eat and to make. My go-to recipe is from my favorite TV personality Ina Garten. So, when I saw a recipe that combined two of my favorite foods and sounded reasonably healthy, I had to try it. I did make some modifications because there were some ingredients that we didn’t have at my house.

It turned out delicious! However, don’t make this if you want your average, run of the mill granola. This produces a granola that is subtly sweet but has a saltiness and the olive oil is only just perceptible. Yet, it works. I have eaten it plain (it makes a great afternoon snack) and on Greek yogurt.

IMG_2584

Olive Oil Granola

Adapted from The New York Times

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1 1/2 cups nuts (I used peanuts and almonds)

1 cup puffed rice

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

1/4 cup agave nectar

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

3/4 cup dried cranberries (or any other dried fruit)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine all ingredients except dried cranberries in a large bowl. Spray a rimmed pan with cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly on the pan. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring at 10 minute intervals. The granola should be golden brown. Combine with dried cranberries. Best served with granola and/or fruit. Enjoy!

IMG_2587

No comments:

Post a Comment