Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tostada Francesa con Guayaba

I have been in Costa Rica for almost two weeks now. It is hard to believe that I have been here in this paradisiacal tiny country for that long. Yet, I have done so much in these thirteen days. Below are some pictures with highlights of my trip.

Food (Comida)

DSC_0746

Dulce de leche gelato, I plan to become a regular at this gelateria in Atenas.

DSC_0759

     A typical meal (minus beans)- avocado, salad, rice with salsa, a spicy zucchini-squash mixture, and plantains

DSC_0851

A typical breakfast of tortillas with queso fresco, gallo pinto (rice and beans cooked together, often with herbs, onions, and/or tomatoes), crema (sour cream), and fried plantains (I will never get tired of these)

DSC_0990

Chicken on a homemade tortilla with salad, avocado, and a boiled plantain

DSC_0988

Banana liqueur at the Dole Plantation

Me (Yo)

DSC_0870

Holding a cacao pod, the seeds from inside are roasted and used to make chocolate

DSC_1062

On the hanging bridge at Monteverde

Places (Lugares)

DSC_0775

Braulio Carillo National Park

DSC_0795

El Rio Sucio, The Dirty River

DSC_0814

A stream that we ate lunch by in Braulio Carillo

Animals (Animales)

DSC_0839

Catching a bird at Centro Manu where we stayed

DSC_1002

Hummingbird feeding at Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve

DSC_1119

A coati, a relative of the racoon

DSC_1183

White-faced capuchin monkey that followed us looking for food

DSC_1040

One of the 500 species of orchids that live in Monteverde

 

But, back to the title, tostata francesa con guayaba or French toast with guava. I had been dreaming about making French toast since I got here and learned that we could use the kitchen to cook on Sundays. So, I had already planned on making French toast this morning and decided to put guava jelly on the inside so it was like a French toast sandwich. This morning after rising early at 6 am I got to the kitchen and realized that we were out of eggs. I was devastated. I tried to think of a solution, should I try to make it with something besides egg, abandon the idea completely, or go get an egg. I had already spread the guava jelly on bread and made it into a sandwich. So, I couldn’t abandon the idea completely; somehow, a stale jelly sandwich didn’t compare to the idea of eggy, hot French toast right out of the pan. So, I made a quick decision to run to the chicken coop and get an egg. I sprinted down the hill and battled some chickens to get an egg. I ran back to the kitchen and cracked the egg in some milk. I added honey and vanilla, giving it a good stir with a fork. I fried the French toast in butter in a hot pan and ate it right after I took it out of the pan. It was definitely some of the best French toast I have ever had, a welcome taste of home with a Tico twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment