Tuesday, October 25, 2011


I am fasting for Horn of Africa Week

Fight the Famine

This is what the sticker says. It is the sticker that I received this morning and that I am proudly wearing as a badge of both courage and strength, a constant reminder that my going 24 hours without food is not in vain.

 I believe in the cause but it was hard for me, a person that loves food and eats at very regular meal times, to make such a commitment. The truth is that I can get extremely cranky when I am hungry. I have been known to be downright hateful when I have skipped meals in the past (this was not voluntarily). Sometimes I wonder if I am the only person that must eat very regular meals or if there are others out there can sympathize with me. Anyone?

However, back to the important part of this post. The cause for the fast is an extremely worthy one. The more people that sign up to fast, the more money campus organizations pledge to donate to relief for the Horn of Africa famine. This famine is a major problem that we can overlook, as many of us are more likely to have the problem of overeating instead of not having enough food to eat. This fast is just one way to remind myself how lucky I am to have sufficient food. Click here to read more about the famine, and I challenge you to fast, donate to the cause, or just think about how thankful you are to have food.



P.S. I find it sort of ironic that my first food blog post (of which I have debated about the topic for a week) is actually about not eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment