Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Los Sabores de Costa Rica

Chocolate and caramel (chocolate y caramelo) gelato. Rich and creamy; the chocolate is intense and deep brown, tasting of Fudgesicles of summers past while the caramel has a slight saltiness but a richness that is hard to forget. Best when eaten together, but delicious separate as well. The three miniature scoops in my pequeño disappeared too quickly, leaving behind only a mixture of different shades of brown liquid lining the plastic cup and a small silver spoon.

I have admittedly tried at least half of the flavors of gelato at Gelly’s, in the 29 days that I have been here (no judgment please). And, I hope to try all of them except dreadful, dreadful coconut (and maybe not coffee either). I justify it because trying flavors at Gelly’s means that I am having a gelato date with friends or Skyping with those I love back home. So, maybe it isn’t such a bad thing to try all the flavors.

Also, I want my experience at Gelly’s to be like my experience here in Costa Rica. I want to try out all the flavors of this beautiful country, getting a taste of the culture, natural beauty, people, beaches, and language. This is especially true as I am planning my spring break. I want to experience everything possible. A chocolate tour and stay at an eco-lodge is coming up soon. Let me know if you have any ideas! Below is a quick recap, in pictures, of what I have been up to.

Carara National Park- El Sur:

DSC_1234

A crocodile in the Rio Tarcoles

DSC_1289

A tree frog, I love this picture for some reason!

DSC_1262

At Playa Azul, a trash-covered beach that still has a beautiful view of the ocean and mountains 

DSC_1267

The trashy part of the beach, sadly this is what it looks like on a good day

DSC_1315

Milking a cow

DSC_0011

Extracting juice from sugar cane

DSC_0026DSC_0047 

Left, the drink from the raw sugar cane juices that we extracted. Right, the final product, after being boiled down for seven hours, was blocks of brown sugar-like sweetener.

DSC_0067

At a waterfall (catarata) on my birthday

Volcan Poas:

DSC_0110

The outline of the lagoon, it was very cloudy

DSC_0098 DSC_0095

The crater, very cloudy!

Whitewater Rafting (2/24/13):

IMG_0311IMG_0457IMG_0487IMG_0562

No comments:

Post a Comment