Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tasty Tidbits

WARNING: Unfortunately, there are no pictures on this specific post. (It might be because I forget to take my camera when I go out to eat. Oops! Do I sense a possible late New Year’s Resolution?) So, I will keep it short because when I read for pleasure I prefer the reading to include pictures. Here are some delicious things that I have eaten recently:

1. Foie gras. After reading two books about Julia Child and hearing a friend talk about France, it was all I could do to not beg Jerry to take me to a French restaurant. (Amelie’s was my only other French experience.) Either he got the hint or was just lucky because he picked The Fig Tree Restaurant at the Lucas House for a nice date night locale. It is labeled as American food with French and Italian influences.

Foie gras had been on my list of things to try before I die, so as soon as I saw it on the menu, I knew I had to order it. Although I could have easily filled up on the bread that was replenished by a server as soon as it disappeared from the plate, I restrained myself. This was really hard because although the bread was good it was elevated to new heights by the roasted garlic puree and the rosemary-infused olive oil. The foie gras came on a beautiful plate, atop a round of brandied apple and almond bread pudding. This sweetness enhanced the buttery richness of the foie gras. In case you didn’t know, foie gras is the liver of a purposely fattened goose or duck that the French have laid claim to as a specifically French delicacy. I have heard food described as having a consistency of butter but I didn’t really believe it. Well, call me a believer because I cannot come up with a better description. If you think it sounds too weird, I say au contraire, give it a try and you just might like it.

2. Key lime pie. At the Eco-House last night, a visitor of the house made us a homemade key lime pie that was really delicious. I am not generally a pie person but this really made me reconsider my stance on the fundamental cake vs. pie issue.

3. Tomato and basil-topped focaccia bread. Not to toot my own horn, but this is the bread that I made at my bread class and I loved it! It was my first try at focaccia and I will definitely have to give it another go in the not-too-distant future. Although without Lionel there for instruction, the bread might not be the same quality. This was definitely a pleasant surprise because I was afraid that my rising/proofing (and lack of folding) had made the yeast from my bread rise too much. I just knew that the consistency would be off. It wasn’t, and for the last week my diet consisted mainly of bread. I couldn’t live without carbs. I will definitely be making this again to satisfy my need for carbohydrates.

Sorry this turned out to be not too short. Bon appetite! (I couldn’t help but make the reference after the French influences in this post and in honor of Julia Child.)

No comments:

Post a Comment